Mergers and acquisitions
We advise our UK and overseas clients on all aspects of buying and selling companies and businesses, often involving a cross-border element. Whilst our traditional home is in the mid-market, we regularly handle deals outside of this arena, from SCA’s €1.32bn acquisition of Georgia-Pacific’s European tissue business across 22 jurisdictions to, for key clients, much smaller strategic mandates. We therefore act for both public and private companies on deals varying in size, value and complexity. Our expertise was recognised by The Lawyer, who awarded us Corporate Team of the Year (midcap) 2012.
Our accomplished M&A offering is enhanced by the depth of our expertise in a number of complementary areas across the firm, including Intellectual Property, Regulatory, Tax, Employment, Benefits and Pensions, Banking and Finance, Anti-trust, Information Technology and Real Estate.
Selected directory listings
- "This firm is praised by clients for the corporate team's ability to 'take a commercial approach.' They have been hailed as 'responsive and absolutely committed'" - Chambers UK 2013
- "RPC’s ‘knowledgeable and practicable’ corporate team regularly punches above its weight in terms of deal size" - The Legal 500, 2012 edition
- "Satisfied clients attest that 'they understand there is always more than one way of skinning the proverbial cat in coming up with creative solutions'" - Chambers UK 2012"
- "This firm is a respected player in mid-market M&A and joint ventures. Clients are pleased with the team’s 'concise, useful and timely advice'" - Chambers UK 2011
Examples of relevant work
- SCA – €1.32bn acquisition of Georgia-Pacific’s European tissue business, and €500m acquisition of Proctor & Gamble’s European tissue business
- A&N Media – the consumer media business of Daily Mail and General Trust plc (DMGT), on its acquisition of Italian jobs website, Jobrapido
- JRJ Group - £94.5m purchase of financial services group, Spectron
- Dods – announced acquisition of Emap’s political monitoring business, and the disposal of its education division to HarperCollins
- Daily Mail and General Trust – £48m public takeover of primelocation.com, and merger of property portals Findaproperty.com and Primelocation.com with Zoopla.co.uk
- Western Canadian – £67m share for share takeover of AIM quoted Cambrian Mining
- HMV – acquisition of Zavvi stores, and disposal of stake in ebook retailer, aNobii
- Saffron Digital - £30m sale to HTC Corporation