Dispute resolution is at the heart of RPC's practice. Over 160 of our lawyers are litigators, giving us the resource to handle large-scale and complex disputes. Our lawyers are equipped with deep specialist sector knowledge in a wide range of areas and have the skills to manage a host of disputes, whether in the High Court in London, the appeal courts, arbitration (international and domestic) or tribunals. The breadth of expertise and number of commercial litigators that we are able to call upon means that we can create a bespoke team to suit each matter, often at short notice.
We recognise that our clients rarely relish litigation. We are experienced at negotiation and mediation, often resolving disputes before trial. Our experienced lawyers are able to advise on the optimum methods of achieving the outcome you want and bringing a dispute to a speedy conclusion.
However, we also know that, in the current climate, litigation can be necessary: to uphold rights, to recover funds or to resist spurious claims. Customer inability to pay can manifest as contractual disputes and allegations of failed performance; problems that are masked by rising property and share prices turn into disputes when those prices are falling. In such cases we are able to draw on our specialist litigation experience to obtain the best commercial outcome for our clients.
The international nature of our practice regularly sees us working closely with firms from TerraLex, the global network of independent law firms of which we are a founder member. TerraLex's international reach means we have access to local litigation experts, no matter which jurisdiction your dispute involves. Most recently, for example, we have worked with fellow members in the USA, Taiwan, Colombia, Denmark, Bulgaria, Germany and Greece. We also have considerable experience co-ordinating litigation and arbitration across a number of jurisdictions, and the opening of RPC offices in Singapore and Hong Kong has expanded our international reach.
We are recognised by the leading independent legal directories for our strength in dispute resolution and we have also invested in significant new hires with a specialty litigation focus both in the UK and our international offices.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Banking and finance
- Civil fraud and international asset tracing investigations
- Commercial litigation
- Competition litigation
- Insurance and reinsurance
- IP and technology
- Professional risks
- Restructuring and Insolvency
Selected directory listings
- "Performs consistently well across the board on mainstream commercial disputes. Strongly supported by contentious teams focusing on specific industry sectors, such as real estate, media and employment. Noted for its expanding international reach" - Chambers UK 2014
- "Practical and responsive – they are very good listeners who adapt their style of advice to something you can understand" - Chambers UK 2014
- "RPC’s team, led by Geraldine Elliott, ‘performs excellently’" - The Legal 500, 2013 edition
- "Clients say the litigation group at RPC offers 'highly pragmatic, constructive and creative solutions" underpinned by "a background of absolutely knowing what's going on legally'" - Chambers UK 2013
- "RPC offers ‘quality advice and business knowledge’" - The Legal 500, 2012 edition
- "This impressive team is in growth mode" - Chambers UK 2012
"Sources agree that this firm is 'really on the up' in the disputes arena. Clients praise the team as being 'commercial, pragmatic and good to deal with'" - Chambers UK 2011
- "Reynolds Porter Chamberlain LLP rises in the ranking following several impressive hires" - The Legal 500, 2010 edition
"While rightly known for its excellent insurance litigation practice, Reynolds Porter Chamberlain LLP more than holds its own for broader commercial disputes" - The Legal 500, 2009 edition
"An impressive firm that is great to deal with" - Chambers UK 2009
"This 'incredibly well-resourced' group boasts 'professional and courteous' lawyers" - Chambers UK 2008
"Reynolds Porter Chamberlain LLP has created a formidable commercial litigation practice" - The Legal 500, 2008 edition