RPC is widely acknowledged as having one of the UK's strongest Media teams, acting for a majority of the UK's national newspapers, as well as regional and local newspapers, book publishers, broadcasters and online content aggregators and publishers. We provide a comprehensive service for media organisations, from M&A through to commercial agreements, IT contracts, media regulation, content advice and litigation. We are regularly recommended by the UK's most respected independent legal directories for our work in this field.
Our defendant-focused media litigation team is recognised as one of the best in the country, handling content disputes as well as commercial litigation affecting media companies and providing regulatory advice in relation to Ofcom, ATVOD and the PCC. The nine lawyer-strong team is led by highly experienced partners with a wealth of specialist knowledge in the media field, which makes us a top choice for clients facing potential litigation.
Complementing our publishing and pre-publication work, the Media team has advised on some of the most complex and high-profile media litigation cases in recent years. We provide round-the-clock support where required and are capable of high-quality delivery at short notice. We work hard with journalists and editors to get their stories out to the public and we are highly experienced at both bringing and defending injunctions of all kinds.
We work closely with in-house lawyers at major media organisations and are trusted advisors to the largest organisations in the business. As a result of our in-depth knowledge and experience in the sector, our lawyers are regularly invited to speak at seminars and conferences and have recently been asked to give evidence to the Committee on Culture, Media and Sport, and to the consultation on Costs in Civil Proceedings carried out by Lord Justice Jackson.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Contempt of Court/Reporting Restrictions
- Data Protection and Freedom of Information
- Intellectual Property
- New Media and E-Commerce
- Publishing and Pre-Publication Advice
Selected directory listings
- "Clients describe it as a top choice for publishing-related defamation, litigation and privacy issues" - Chambers UK 2013
- "RPC has ‘a great understanding of the needs of newspapers, having represented almost all of the nationals at some point’. The group had ‘an amazing year for defendant work’, and ‘seems stronger than ever, having always been excellent’"- The Legal 500, 2012 edition
- "RPC advises newspapers on ‘complicated, time-sensitive matters efficiently and confidently’" - The Legal 500, 2012 edition
- "It has a characteristically commercial approach to its work and is very good at suggesting solutions, so you always have a range of options... It takes a very client-friendly approach to everything it does... hits the bell of perfection as far as defendant media law is concerned" - Chambers UK 2012
- "Noted for its ‘practical approach and sheer depth of knowledge’...Reynolds Porter Chamberlain LLP’s ‘edge comes from being a defendant-only practice’... ‘quick and user friendly’" - The Legal 500, 2011 edition
- "Recommended for Client Service", Chambers UK 2011
- "Reynolds Porter Chamberlain is 'excellent in publishing,' and is praised by major newspaper and publishing houses for its efficiency and accuracy" - Chambers UK 2011
- "I'll usually ring them when it's urgent and they deal with me straight away – even when they're on holiday, they get in touch" - Chambers UK 2011
- "I feel safe when I have their advice – they're quick, courteous and very good at phrasing things in the right way" - Chambers UK 2011
- "They're accessible and pragmatic, and look at clients' business objectives instead of looking at the law in a vacuum" - Chambers UK 2011
- "This outfit has 'fantastic depth and breadth, good resources and brilliant client service" - Chambers UK 2009
- "Renowned for its state-of-the-art defamation work" - Chambers UK 2008
You can read the RPC Privacy Law Blog by clicking here.