RPC is widely acknowledged as having one of the UK's strongest Media teams, acting for a majority of the UK's national newspapers, as well as regional and local newspapers, book publishers, broadcasters and online content aggregators and publishers. We provide a comprehensive service for media organisations, from M&A through to commercial agreements, IT contracts, media regulation, content advice and litigation. We are regularly recommended by the UK's most respected independent legal directories for our work in this field.
Our defendant-focused media litigation team is recognised as one of the best in the country, handling content disputes as well as commercial litigation affecting media companies and providing regulatory advice in relation to Ofcom, ATVOD and the PCC. The nine lawyer-strong team is led by highly experienced partners with a wealth of specialist knowledge in the media field, which makes us a top choice for clients facing potential litigation.
Complementing our publishing and pre-publication work, the Media team has advised on some of the most complex and high-profile media litigation cases in recent years. We provide round-the-clock support where required and are capable of high-quality delivery at short notice. We work hard with journalists and editors to get their stories out to the public and we are highly experienced at both bringing and defending injunctions of all kinds.
We work closely with in-house lawyers at major media organisations and are trusted advisors to the largest organisations in the business. As a result of our in-depth knowledge and experience in the sector, our lawyers are regularly invited to speak at seminars and conferences and have recently been asked to give evidence to the Committee on Culture, Media and Sport, and to the consultation on Costs in Civil Proceedings carried out by Lord Justice Jackson.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Contempt of Court/Reporting Restrictions
- Data Protection and Freedom of Information
- Intellectual Property
- New Media and E-Commerce
- Publishing and Pre-Publication Advice
Selected directory listings
- "Publishing powerhouse" - Chambers UK 2015
- "They know their stuff. They have been excellent and we have a good deal of confidence in them" - Chambers UK 2015
- "The people we deal with are down to earth, not stuffy, and their legal practice is good" - Chambers UK 2015
- "They seem very responsive, understand the needs of our business, see the bigger picture and provide tailored advice" - Chambers UK 2014
- "Big players in the newspaper and newsgathering industries" - Chambers UK 2014
"Media litigator Keith Mathieson heads RPC’s 40-lawyer team, which provides ‘fast, efficient advice founded on rich experience’," - The Legal 500, 2013
- "Clients describe it as a top choice for publishing-related defamation, litigation and privacy issues" - Chambers UK 2013
You can read the RPC Privacy Law Blog by clicking here.