Defamation and privacy
Top ranked by Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 for our defamation and privacy work, RPC consistently delivers results for our clients at national and local newspapers, broadcasters, publishers and new media companies.
Described by the Legal 500 as "the pre-eminent defendant practice" we have been involved in some of the highest profile defamation and privacy cases in recent years. Frequently working for multiple newspapers and publishers, we are well-equipped and confident in taking on the largest of cases from the High Court to Strasbourg.
The Media Group is highly experience at tackling defamation and privacy actions, both after proceedings have been served and when injunctions are threatened. We work closely with in-house lawyers at major media organisations and are trusted advisors to the largest organisations in the business. As a result of our in-depth knowledge and experience in the sector, our lawyers are regularly invited to speak at seminars and conferences and have recently been asked to give evidence to the Committee on Culture, Media and Sport, and to the consultation on Costs in Civil Proceedings carried out by Lord Justice Jackson.
With the proliferation of online content, the team is dealing increasingly with defamation and privacy in the context of new media and online publication and we are adept at handling the issues that arise in this sphere.
- "Responsive, focused and commercial. They really cut to the chase and get on with it, give clear, punchy advice and resolve disputes economically"- Chambers UK 2014
- "Practical, responsive and very good listeners who adapt their style of advice to something you understand" - Chambers UK 2014
- "A pre-eminent defendants practice" - Chambers UK 2014
- "First-class: they are thorough and perceptive, and draw on rich experience" - Chambers UK 2014
- "Knows the publishing industry inside out’, and ‘seems to have acted for just about everyone in the sector’" - The Legal 500, 2013 edition
- "RPC is one of the market's leading defendant practices. Its leading status is acknowledged and supported by commentators, who note that "they are so close to the law being made, they know exactly what happens in the field of both libel and privacy; they are very good at just identifying the legal issues, and helping us deal with it through pragmatic and workable advice'" - Chambers UK 2013
- "RPC has ‘a great understanding of the needs of newspapers, having represented almost all of the nationals at some point’. The group had ‘an amazing year for defendant work’, and ‘seems stronger than ever, having always been excellent’"- The Legal 500, 2012 edition
- "It has a characteristically commercial approach to its work and is very good at suggesting solutions, so you always have a range of options... It takes a very client-friendly approach to everything it does... hits the bell of perfection as far as defendant media law is concerned" - Chambers UK 2012
- "Noted for its ‘practical approach and sheer depth of knowledge’...Reynolds Porter Chamberlain LLP’s ‘edge comes from being a defendant-only practice’... ‘quick and user friendly’" - The Legal 500, 2011 edition
- "Recommended for Client Service and Commercial Awareness" - Chambers UK 2011
- "I feel safe when I have their advice – they're quick, courteous and very good at phrasing things in the right way" - Chambers UK 2011
- "They're accessible and pragmatic, and look at clients' business objectives instead of looking at the law in a vacuum" - Chambers UK 2011
- "The group is very well put together to provide clients with the optimum skills and support." - Chambers UK 2010
- "A leading defendant defamation practice" - The Legal 500, 2009 edition
- "This is an experienced team that's prepared to take risks in the interests of its clientele and this is what makes it a leader" Chambers UK 2009
"The firm is distinguished by its international reach in areas such as defamation, reputation management and privacy" - Chambers UK 2009
- "This outfit has 'fantastic depth and breadth, good resources and brilliant client service'" - Chambers UK 2009
- "Singled out for the "terrific associates coming through the ranks" - Chambers UK 2009
- "Reynolds Porter Chamberlain is renowned for its state-of-the-art defamation work" - Chambers UK 2008
Examples of relevant work
- Robert Murat and others v Associated Newspapers, Express Newspapers, MGN and News Group Newspapers and Tapas 7 v Express Newspapers - acting for multiple publishers in an action regarding allegations published in the course of the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann
- Polanski v Vanity Fair - acting for a magazine in high-profile libel which went to House of Lords on the issue of video evidence
- Robert Dee v Reuters, Express Newspapers, Independent News and Media, Associated Newspapers Ltd - acting for multiple publishers in relation to stories published about a professional tennis player
- Ivereigh v Associated Newspapers - instructed by Associated Newspapers to defend the first retrial of a libel action in recent times
- Lord Brown v Associated Newspapers - securing the first victory by a newspaper in a privacy case in recent times