We advise manufacturers, suppliers and retailers (and often also their insurers) on all issues relating to products. Both the subject matter and the relevant law are often highly technical. Our lawyers have in-depth experience across most industries, including agriculture, automotive, building/construction, chemicals, energy, engineering, food/drink, packaging, pharmaceutical/medical/health, paint and lacquer, telecoms, textiles and transport.
We act for both UK and internationally-based clients and our team includes specialist adjusters with particular expertise in product liability and recall claims.
- "Strong reputation for its experience representing insurers in large-scale litigation. Also has notable expertise in advisory and regulatory work" - Chambers UK 2016
- "The service has been high-calibre, very good indeed and very informative" - Chambers UK 2016
- "Client-friendly and commercially aware" - The Legal 500 UK, 2015 edition
- "Clients at RPC ‘only go for excellence'" - The Legal 500, 2014 edition
- "Maintains its significant roster of insurer and corporate clients. Notable for its focus on the pharmaceutical and medical industries as well as its wide-ranging experience across other sectors such as automobile, telecoms and road and rail" - Chambers UK 2014
- "The ‘first-class’ team at RPC is recommended for high-value, complex claims" - The Legal 500, 2013 edition
- "A very good team that will fight its corner, but is also very sensible" - Chambers UK 2013
Examples of relevant work
Acting for supplier of allegedly contaminated fuel oil for use in ships, resulting in multiple claims for damage to ships' engines and substantial consequential losses
Representing a manufacturer of automotive components in a recall of over three million defective windscreen wiper blade clips that had been delivered to vehicle manufacturers and component suppliers in the US
Acting for a major chemical company whose agrochemical division faced claims totalling over £15m arising from the effects of a new crop fungicide
Claim arising out of failure of the fireproof lining of a rail tunnel in Holland - amount involved €30m
Defending a major engineering organisation in relation to a blade fracture at a power station in South Africa - claim in excess of £50m
Claim arising from alleged side effects of drug released in the US - numerous and substantial claims for damages by US action groups
Claims against telecoms company arising out of allegedly defective cables supplied on marine contracts - case involves complex issues of foreign law, jurisdiction and reinsurance - claim in excess of €50m
We worked closely with the International Underwriting Association to produce their key publication 'Financial Loss. What is it, and when is it covered?' for market professionals. To read our Products publications, click here.