RPC combines a market-leading Tax Disputes practice with longstanding non-contentious expertise to offer a comprehensive service to UK and international clients. We are one of the few City firms able to offer advice on both tax disputes and tax advisory / transactional matters.
Our specialist Tax Disputes team is recognised by independent legal directories as one of the best in the country. Our lawyers include former senior members of Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC), giving us significant insight into how HMRC work. Our work in this area includes pre-emptive advice on tax risk issues, enquiries and investigations and litigation at the Tribunals and Higher Courts, through to the European Court of Justice.
On the non-contentious side we advise on a wide breadth of issues including corporate, partnerships and funds. We also offer personal tax advice, particularly with regard to those clients who are non UK domiciliaries. Our tax lawyers work closely with colleagues from around the firm to provide seamless support on matters such as M&A, property taxation, pensions, employee benefits and employment.
Our clients range from large multinational corporations through to privately-owned businesses and high net-worth individuals. We pride ourselves on providing a responsive service tailored to our clients' needs, and in doing so adding real commercial value.
Selected directory listings
- "Strong expertise acting for clients on HMRC civil and criminal investigations, as well as UK and ECJ tax cases, and particular expertise advising clients on GLOs" - Chambers UK 2014
- "RPC stand out for their clear, high-quality, unambiguous advice and commercial focus. Their aim is on achieving results and resolution, fast and efficiently" - Chambers UK 2014
- "The team is highly efficient in identifying the key issues quickly. Once these issues are identified they quickly summarise the possible ways forward, and once these are decided they implement with maximum effectiveness" - Chambers UK 2014
- "Sources say this team is 'good at putting the client at ease and explaining the legal process to them.' Clients also appreciate RPC's lawyers' 'accessibility, both in terms of making themselves available for consultation, but also their manner, style and approach'" - Chambers UK 2013
- "RPC’s team has expert knowledge in GLO matters, and disputes involving HMRC" - The Legal 500, 2012 edition
- "This highly regarded team is recommended for its expertise in tax investigations, transfer pricing, EU discrimination concerns and compound interest claims against HMRC" - Chambers UK 2011
- "The team includes a number of former members of HMRC's Solicitors Office, giving it in-depth sector knowledge" - Chambers UK 2011
- "a great choice for contentious tax cases... The lawyers are praised for anticipating potential problems and for being quick to respond" - Chambers UK 2010
- "This small team of charming, sensible tax litigators really punches above its weight" - Chambers UK 2010
- "The lawyers here are known for 'providing straight-talking advice, rather than simply what the clients want to hear' and the team is considered 'great for tax disputes work" - Chambers UK 2009
Our areas of expertise include:
- Tax disputes
- Tax negligence
- Corporate taxation
- Employment and benefits
- VAT and Stamp Duty
- Property tax
To read our Tax Publications, click here. To read our Tax Blog, click here. For more information on our non-contentious tax practice contact Charles Suchett-Kaye (firstname.lastname@example.org), or for contentious tax matters, Jonathan Levy (email@example.com)
Click here to read a speech given by David Gauke MP, Exchequer Secretary to HM Treasury, at the May 2011 meeting of the Tax Journal Breakfast Club, which is sponsored by RPC.
Adam Craggs analyses HMRC's latest defeat in the First-tier Tribunal. Click here to read...
This article was first published in New Law Journal (http://www.newlawjournal.co.uk), "Discovery channel",
NLJ 18 May 2012, p 678.