We act for international underwriters, P&I Clubs, ship owners, charterers, freight forwarders, cargo recovery agents, banks and trading companies, litigating and arbitrating disputes involving bill of lading, charterparty, marine insurance policy, P&I and FD&D claims.
We can also help you navigate international sales contract and documentary credit disputes, and claims arising from other forms of transportation including trucking contracts, rail and air movements and storage and warehousing, including those with cross-border elements. In addition, we have significant experience in handling commercial fraud and company-related litigation, as well as advising on various customs-related issues and offences.
Selected directory listings
- "A growing practice with an increasing presence in the shipping litigation sphere... "They are commercially minded and offer good value for money"" - Chambers Asia 2015
- "‘Very good’ shipping practice... The firm’s global record in marine insurance and disputes work means it is regularly called on to act for P&I clubs, insurers and shipping companies" - Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2014
Examples of relevant work
- Parakou Shipping Ptd Ltd v Jinhui Shipping and others: Representing Jinhui and its P&I Club defending a claim brought by Parakou for an indemnity in respect of an award made against it for approximately $45m, successfully striking out the claim on the first day of trial. This was a groundbreaking decision as it expanded the principles of when a case amounts to an abuse of process
- Representing P&I Club and members in relation to sinking of a vessel due to liquefaction of an iron ore cargo leading to a loss of $70m
- Acting for reinsurers in respect of a vessel collision which led to death and property claims of $50m
- Representing an International Freight Forwarder in Pakistan proceedings regarding a $13.5m lawsuit relating to the shipment of a project cargo
- Representing a Lloyd’s Syndicate in respect of a Hull Policy dispute with a value of over US$3m
- Representing high net worth individual in dispute over quality issues regarding sale and delivery of a defective luxury yacht
- Acting for trading house in relation to the hijacking of vessel and cargo with the total value of over US$50m