Retail and leisure
As industry experts, our involvement spans the full breadth of development projects advising owners, operators, contractors and authorities.
At the outset we prepare and negotiate the development, finance and construction contract documents, whether you're using bespoke documents or industry forms such as JCT, NEC3, MPF or FIDIC. Through training and workshops, we help your project teams get up to speed with unfamiliar forms of contract.
During the construction phase, we provide behind-the-scenes advice to ensure compliance with key contractual requirements and support in commercial negotiations. When risk events occur, we help you manage the consequences to keep the project on course.
If disputes arise, our team has impressive experience of selecting the right approach for resolving these and we are always focused on securing the best commercial solution.
Examples of relevant work
- Providing advice in relation to the claim by Brookfield Multiplex against Mott McDonald for alleged negligence in the design of Wembley Stadium
- Advising contractor in dispute with Local Authority over construction of Bath Spa project
- Advising in relation to the structural failure of concrete car park at Castlepoint Shopping Centre Bournemouth
- Pre-action advice to main contractor leading to the resolution of a final account payment dispute with developer arising from the construction of a mixed retail and leisure centre in central London
- Acting for Tesco Stores on various UK retail projects, including the £270m Coventry and Broadstairs Jersey Trust development
- Acting for Westfield Shoppingtowns on the redevelopment of the Millgate Centre and the construction aspects of the refinancing of Tunbridge Wells
- Advising hotel operator in arbitration with contractor arising out of the refurbishment of a London hotel