- Phone: +44 (0)20 3060 6466
- Save To Outlook
- Practice areas:
- Insurance and reinsurance, Regulatory
- Financial services, insurance, insurance product development, regulation
Jonathan provides a comprehensive service to regulated financial services firms of all types, with particular emphasis on the London Insurance Market and financial advisers. He advises whether FSA authorisation is needed, has helped firms become authorised and guided firms through all aspects of regulatory compliance. He also represents firms and senior directors in FSA enforcement proceedings and regulatory related litigation.
Jonathan has been involved in almost all the major issues affecting the UK financial services industry over the last decade, advising independent financial advisers, major life offices and their professional indemnity insurers. He has been involved in the Pensions Review (when he acted for the insurers and IFAs in the windfall shares test case, Needler Financial Services v Taber  3 All ER 501), Equitable Life, split capital investment trusts, precipice bonds, endowment mortgages and the collapses of Claims Direct and The Accident Group.
- Financial Services Lawyers Association
- Association of Pension Lawyers
Selected Directory Listings
- "widely perceived as a key practitioner on regulatory matters in the insurance market... 'fully committed to his clients and firmly understands their needs and perspective'" - Chambers UK 2013
- "Outstanding lawyer" - The Legal 500, 2012 edition
- "a recognised leader for regulatory legal expertise in the London and Lloyd’s markets" - The Legal 500, 2011 edition
- 'Jonathan Davies "gives to-the-point advice which is very focused towards our needs," say sources' - Chambers UK 2011
- "Jonathan Davies is noted for his regulatory expertise" - The Legal 500, 2010 edition
- "Jonathan Davies does a 'great job'" - The Legal 500, 2009 edition
- "Clients of Jonathan Davies at Reynolds Porter Chamberlain LLP say they get 'excellent value for money'" - The Legal 500, 2008 edition
Examples of relevant work
- Acting for the former Chief Executive of a major financial institution in FSA enforcement proceedings
- Assisted two major London market insurers in their preparations for FSA ARROWS visits
- Obtained Small e-money issuer certificate for Associated Newspapers Ltd to enable it to operate its cashless payment Eros Card in accordance with the EU's e-Money Directive
- Advised Interdependence Limited on its passporting of Leeds (Financial Services) Limited to operate branches in Spain and Gibraltar, the first passporting of a tied agent under the Insurance Mediation Directive
- Acted for a number of financial advisers in their implementation of the MiFID Directive
- FSA enforcement proceedings - Interdependence Ltd [June 2004] - duties to supervise appointed representatives
- FSA enforcement proceedings - Hargreaves Lansdown Asset Management Ltd [June 2004] - split capital investment trusts
- BBL v Eagle Star  LRLR 17 - liability for Appointed Representatives under s44 Financial Services Act (now s39, Financial Services and Markets Act)
To read our Regulatory Publications, click here.
To read our Regulatory Blog, click here.