- Phone: +44(0)20 3060 6671
- Save To Outlook
- Practice areas:
- Banking and Finance; Dispute Resolution
- Banking & finance markets litigation, Fraud and asset tracing litigation, Regulatory investigations
Simon is a litigator specialising in banking disputes, financial markets litigation and regulatory investigations. He has advised in capital markets matters involving derivatives, structured products, hedging arrangements and collateralised debt obligations. He has acted on a range of other banking disputes arising out of, for example, lending arrangements and trade finance. Simon also has wide experience of multi-jurisdictional litigation arising out of complex fraud and asset tracing. In regulatory enforcement, Simon has conducted a number of corporate investigations of both a domestic and cross-border nature relating to FSA enforcement and anti-corruption.
Simon is a contributor to the third edition of "Banking Litigation" published by Sweet & Maxwell
- Member of the Financial Services Lawyers Association
Selected directory listings
- "Simon Hart has a wealth of experience in the banking arena and regularly advises on capital markets matters and regulatory investigations" - Chambers UK 2014
- "The "really impressive" Simon Hart has vast experience handling litigation related to banking, fraud and capital markets. He is also proficient in regulatory investigations" - Chambers UK 2014
- "Simon Hart’s ‘advice is well thought out’" - The Legal 500, 2013 edition
- "Well regarded" - The Legal 500, 2013 edition
- "A wealth of experience in banking disputes, financial markets litigation and regulatory investigations... 'very approachable' and 'pragmatic' - Chambers UK 2013
- “The 'absolutely brilliant' Simon Hart is 'completely on top of his subject.' He has acted in a number of disputes involving derivatives, CDO and other capital markets products.” - Chambers UK 2012
- “Simon Hart has acted in a number of disputes involving derivatives, CDOs and other structured products. Sources report that he is 'very thorough, quick to grasp the most complex of issues and a pleasure to work with.'” - Chambers UK 2011
- “Simon Hart [is] singled out for particular praise” The Legal 500, 2010 edition
Examples of relevant work
- Advising a European financial institution on a $150m claim concerning its investment in a collateralised debt obligation arranged and managed by an investment bank. The case involved allegations of mis-selling and portfolio mismanagement
- JPMorgan Chase v Springwell Navigation Corporation – acting for the investor in a $500m claim involving allegations of mis-selling, negligent advice and misrepresentation
- Advising a corporate trustee in connection with post-insolvency issues arising out of a series of bond issuances by Lehman Brothers
- Advising a corporate client in relation to a dispute arising out of the performance of a derivative product used in connection with an Open Ended Investment Company of which it was the administrator.
- Acting for liquidators in the context of claims arising out of a trade finance fraud against a former director and his corporate vehicle. The litigation involved work across six jurisdictions.
- Advising a European bank in connection with a dispute arising out of the termination of loan facilities.