Top tips for litigating against HMRC
In this interactive webinar, the panel will share practical tips on litigating against HMRC, with a particular focus on litigation strategies, how to bring finality to ongoing disputes, and the role of ADR in the dispute resolution process.
Event date: 26 May 2022
Duration: 1 hour
Event time: 12:00
Event type: Webinar
Provided by: RPC
This webinar is aimed at accountants and tax advisers.
The panel will discuss and answer questions on the following topics:
- How to resolve an impasse during an HMRC enquiry – the role of applications for closure notices (and recent developments in relation to partial closure notices)
- Information notices – what your obligations are and how to comply
- The role of ADR in the dispute resolution process and HMRC's Litigation and Settlement Strategy
- How to prepare effective written submissions before the Tribunal
- How to prepare persuasive witness evidence
- General tips for preparing for a hearing before the Tribunal
Laurent Sykes QC has a wide ranging practice which encompasses many areas of the tax code, particularly business and employment tax-related matters and issues affecting private clients. He also advises on tax-related pensions matters and on tax-related commercial disputes.
Constantine Christofi is a Senior Associate at RPC and acts for clients in both civil and criminal litigation against HMRC. He advises corporates and high net worth individuals on all aspects of corporate and personal tax, and has extensive experience in challenging HMRC decisions on public law grounds by way of judicial review.
Keziah Mastin is an Associate at RPC and acts for clients during investigations and disputes involving both direct and indirect taxes. Prior to joining RPC, she worked in HMRC's Solicitor's Office within both litigation and policy advisory teams.