Food and drink
Our food & drink group acts for clients across the sector, from manufacturers all the way through the supply chain, to retailers.
We have a dedicated team of experts who assist clients through all stages of the product life cycle including on innovation projects, IP exploitation and enforcement, advertising and marketing, F&D regulation and product labelling, consumer regulation, VAT and customs and excise. We also advise on corporate acquisitions / disposals and JV arrangements and our Tier 1 ranked Commercial Contracts team is renowned for its expertise in manufacturing and supply / distribution contracts, licensing arrangements and sponsorships deals.
Coupled with our dedicated regulatory / product liability practice, our offering is tailor-made to support the food & drink industry. We have significant experience working with regulators, supporting lobbying campaigns and industry-wide initiatives, and working closely with our reputation management team to manage risk for our clients in the sector.
Clients come to us because we invest in long-term partnerships. We align ourselves to our clients’ needs and act as an extension of their team rather than as outside advisors. We are our clients’ “critical friend”, providing legal and commercial guidance on current sector issues so they can protect their business, their reputation, their people and ultimately, their bottom line. Sharing market intelligence is at the heart of our offering, using our rich experience and knowledge to deliver competitive advantages to our clients, helping them break into new markets and open new revenue streams.
We also have a particular focus on supporting companies wanting to break into – or who are already leaders in – health & wellbeing, by helping those businesses navigate the new health-driven regulatory environment.
- PizzaExpress: a global partnership with app giant Deliveroo relating to the provision of food delivery services. We also advise on all commercial contracts including product supply and promotion/ sponsorship agreements
- Premium and luxury spirits brands: exploitation and protection of IP rights, IP enforcement and counterfeit issues, sponsorship and endorsement arrangements and IP disputes in various jurisdictions
- UK’s leading food gift company: business-critical renegotiations of existing supply arrangements and wider strategic advice around its international supply operations
- TATA Global Beverages: Global IT infrastructure outsourcing project
- Kout Food Group: various restaurant acquisitions and investments, including the acquisition of several Kentucky Fried Chicken and Burger King franchises and advising generally on franchise operations in the UK
- SSP: managing its global IP portfolio, including its Upper Crust, Caffé Ritazza and Millie’s Cookies brands, and advising on all related IP issues
- Champagne Louis Roederer: on trade mark infringement proceedings in respect of their famous CRISTAL brand
- A manufacturer of non-carbonated drinks: contractual dispute including logistics, sales, producer and supplier relationships
- A global drinks company: on the UK’s regulatory framework for No/Low alcohol products and preparations for its entry into the category
- Manufacturer and distributor of an Asia based craft beer: advising on food product recall regulations and procedures
They are very talented, can see a broad range of views and can adapt to the different requirements of the clients.CHAMBERS & PARTNERS 2020
Irrespective of who we deal with, there is always consistency in how they provide advice – it’s very commercial and always provided in a form to meet our needs. In fact, they often exceed my expectations.CHAMBERS & PARTNERS 2019