Jon Bartley specialises in digital technology and e-commerce, data protection, cybersecurity and consumer law.
Jon has 20 years' experience as a commercial contracts lawyer. He helps clients manage their legal risk whilst still achieving key business objectives.
Advising domestic and international clients, including well-known consumer brands, Jon acts on a wide range of commercial contracts, including supply of goods and services, reseller and distribution, and licence agreements.
He specialises in technology and digital business contracts, including SaaS, IaaS and other cloud solutions, software development and licence agreements, and data analytics projects.
Jon also assists clients on regulatory matters including data protection and cybersecurity issues (data security breaches, data analytics and marketing, data transfers and GDPR readiness), cybersecurity, e-commerce regulation and consumer law.
Jon is described by The Legal 500 as "extremely strong in the field" of data protection, privacy and cybersecurity.
Jon is a thought leader in the area of data protection. He is Chair of the Data Law Committee of the City of London Law Society and in 2021 was a contributing author to a key report on legal mechanisms for data stewardship.
- Fortune 500 managed services provider – long-standing mandate advising on software implementation projects, including SaaS enterprise collaboration software and app development, hosting and support
- Major contract electronics manufacturer – advising on and negotiating an agreement with a Big Six energy supplier to supply in-home display devices as part of the UK smart-metering rollout programme, including a flow-down sub-contract with the hardware design provider
- Cybersecurity software provider – advising on a licence, software localisation and reseller agreement with a major Japanese conglomerate in respect of a cybersecurity information-sharing platform
- Global management consultancy – advising on contracts with software developers and hosting providers to supply a business intelligence solution to the healthcare sector
- Luxury high-street retailer – supporting consumer brand client following a data security breach, including advising the directors on likely legal liability, mitigation and reporting and drafting notification to the Information Commissioner
Chair of City of London Law Society Data Law Committee
Former member, City of London Law Society Commercial Law Committee
Law Society Working Group on EU Consumer Rights Directives (Goods and Digital Content)
LexisNexis Data Protection Intelligence Group
International Association of Privacy Professionals
Society for Computers and LawTech London Advocates
"Jon Bartley is approachable, pragmatic and very knowledgeable both with respect to data privacy and the technology sector." - The Legal 500 UK 2022
"Recommended" - The Legal 500 UK 2022
"Jon Bartley has provided assistance with all of our major data protection queries over the last few years and provides his advice in a way that sees him fit seamlessly with our in-house legal and wider commercial teams." - The Legal 500 UK 2021
"Recommended" - The Legal 500 UK 2020
"Other names to note include Jon Bartley, who combines digital technology and e-commerce experience with data protection and cybersecurity expertise; Paul Joseph and David Cran, who handle large-scale IT disputes, and recently promoted IT, outsourcing and data partner Charles Buckworth." - The Legal 500 UK 2020
"Extremely strong in the field." - Legal 500 UK 2018