Jon Bartley specialises in data protection and cybersecurity, digital technology and consumer law.
Jon has 25 years' experience as a data protection, commercial contracts and technology lawyer. He provides pragmatic and solution-focussed advice to household name clients from a range of sectors including retail and consumer, social media and technology, insurance and professional services.
Jon leads the Data Advisory team, part of RPC's wider Data & Privacy group, including specialist Data Disputes and Data Breach teams. Jon advises on the full range of data protection and ePrivacy compliance issues, including multi-jurisdictional data protection audits, data transfers (including Transfer Risk Assessments), data protection impact assessments, data analytics and marketing, adtech compliance and drafting and negotiating contracts involving the processing or sharing of personal data.
Jon is also a commercial contracts specialist, advising on technology and digital business contracts, including SaaS, IaaS and other cloud solutions, software development and licence agreements, and data analytics projects. He also assists clients in other areas of regulation, including e-commerce and consumer law.Jon is described by The Legal 500 as "extremely strong in the field" of data protection, privacy and cybersecurity.
Jon is a regular conference speaker and thought leader in the area of data protection. He is Chair of the Data Law Committee of the City of London Law Society and in 2021 was a contributing author to a key report on legal mechanisms for data stewardship.
- Leading a team advising a global insurer on a significant project to review 50 customer data-heavy and complex vendor agreements and draft and negotiate upgrades to the data protection provisions
- Conducting a comprehensive data protection audit for a household name consumer brand and acting as sole external counsel on all data protection issues
- Data protection review for the provider of a B2B data sharing platform using the Ocean Protocol, a blockchain-based technology for operating a decentralized marketplace for data
- Advising on various ICO investigations arising from e-mail marketing campaigns and online data collection practices
- Chair of City of London Law Society Data Law Committee
- TechUK Data Protection Group
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- LexisNexis Data Protection Intelligence Group
- Society for Computers and Law
- Tech London Advocates
"Jon Bartley has his finger on the pulse as to what is going on in the area of data transfer." - Chambers UK 2024
"Jon's advice and support on a range of matters is invaluable." - Chambers UK 2023
"Jon Bartley is approachable, pragmatic and very knowledgeable both with respect to data privacy and the technology sector." - The Legal 500 UK 2022
"Recommended" - The Legal 500 UK 2022
"Jon Bartley has provided assistance with all of our major data protection queries over the last few years and provides his advice in a way that sees him fit seamlessly with our in-house legal and wider commercial teams." - The Legal 500 UK 2021
"Recommended" - The Legal 500 UK 2020
"Other names to note include Jon Bartley, who combines digital technology and e-commerce experience with data protection and cybersecurity expertise; Paul Joseph and David Cran, who handle large-scale IT disputes, and recently promoted IT, outsourcing and data partner Charles Buckworth." - The Legal 500 UK 2020
"Extremely strong in the field." - Legal 500 UK 2018