Construction, maritime and aviation litigation specialist with experience of complex and multi-party litigation including cladding, renewables and energy.
Jonathan combines extensive Court and arbitration experience as a trial advocate in the construction, energy and transport sectors with commercial knowledge of those sectors gained through in-house experience in particular in cladding, renewables and energy projects.
He is a trained mediator and arbitrator.
Jonathan has acted and advised in many disputes before the Technology and Construction Courts, the Admiralty and Commercial Courts and in UNCITRAL, ICC, LCIA and LMAA arbitrations. Recently, he has been involved in disputes involving waste to energy technology, nuclear power plants, and the Advanced Quantum Metrology Facility and National Physical Laboratory including professional liability in each area.
On the non-contentious side, Jonathan supports clients in all areas of construction and transport and is conversant with standard forms and current issues on major construction and transport projects including cladding, tanking, pipelines, waste to energy and renewables.
- Society of Construction Law
- Member Royal Aeronautical Society
- Qualified Mediator (ADR Chambers)
- Associate, of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. (ACIArb)
- Advocacy trainer - Australian Advocacy Institute (AAI)
- Supporting Member LMAA
- Editor: Shawcross and Beaumont Air Law (2009 – 2018)
- Editor: Atkins Court Forms Volume 8 (2018) (current)
- Energy Works (Hull) Ltd v MW High Tech Projects UK Ltd and others  EWHC 2537 (TCC), O'Farrell J: Advising on litigation dealing with mandatory assignment of an IChemE sub-contract from the contractor to the employer on termination of a main contract and the transfer of the benefit of accrued and future rights in relation to waste to energy plant.
- C Spencer Ltd v MW High Tech Projects UK Ltd  EWHC 2547 (TCC);  EWCA Civ 331 (CA): Advising on litigation dealing with IChemE Subcontract in relation to payment notices under hybrid construction contracts in relation to waste to energy plant (see also Engie Fabricom UK Ltd v MW High Tech Projects UK Ltd  EWHC 1876).
- GSP Fortuna Ltd v Dean International Trading SA  EWHC 2208 (Comm) – representing Defendant in a UAE oil rigs purchase and upgrade arrangement involving Iranian sanctions issues including tracing monies through such jurisdictions.
- Advising and defending design and build main contractor on “cladding” and internal fire-stopping dispute in relation to design and fitting of Alucobond panels and intumescent paint/lining applications on 22 student accommodation buildings and settling such disputes..
- Advising and assisting on construction dispute (mainly on power issues) in relation to completion of data-handling centre in the Republic of Ireland (including assisting on appeal of adjudication issues).
“His experience and understanding of the law and his commercial awareness has been of great assistance. He is very approachable, exceptionally knowledgeable, provides clear advice and finds the time to make himself available” Chambers UK, 2019 edition
"...He is easy to work with and responsive. He quickly identifies the issues..." Chambers UK, 2018 edition
"...He is always well prepared..." Legal 500, 2017 edition
"...a tenacious advocate with an admired intellectual capacity” Chambers Global, 2017 edition
"...has a no-nonsense attitude, and is a lucid thinker who takes a helpful, collaborative approach. Committed, knowledgeable and user-friendly…" Chambers UK, 2016 edition