Nicola Cain is a specialist in media and information rights compliance, regulation, enforcement and disputes.
Nicola has extensive experience providing pre- and post-publication advice to the print, broadcast, digital and social media and their insurers, and conducting investigations and disputes arising out of claims in:
- privacy & confidence
- data protection
- information access legislation (such as the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and Environmental Information Regulations 2004)
- press and broadcast regulation
- public law
- reporting restrictions
- the protection of journalistic information and freedom of expression
Nicola is an expert in data privacy issues in the media and technology sectors and is a regular industry speaker. She holds the IAPP CIPP/E certification and advises on data protection compliance, including subject access requests and objections to processing, the impact of GDPR, cyber-incidents and data breaches and related complaints, regulatory investigations and enforcement, and litigation.
Nicola co-authored the 4th edition of 'Defamation: Law, Procedure & Practice' (2009).
Prior to joining RPC, Nicola gained significant in-house experience at a world-renowned public service broadcaster.
- R (On the application of DSD & NBV) & others v Parole Board & others  EWHC 694 (Admin)
- Gubarev & others v BuzzFeed & another  EWHC 512 (QB)
- Stunt v Associated Newspapers  EWHC 695 (QB)
- Mahmood v BBC  EWCA Civ 1567
- R (on the application of JC & RT) v Central Criminal Court  EWCA Civ 1777
- Sugar (Deceased) v British Broadcasting Corporation  UKSC 4
- In re: BBC (Attorney General's Reference No.3 of 1999)  1 AC 145
- R (on the application of the British Broadcasting Corporation & another) v Secretary of State for Justice  EWHC 13 (Admin)
"Phenomenal talent' Nicola Cain draws on her in-house experience at the BBC to advise household names on contentious and non-contentious defamation, misuse of private information and data protection issues." - Legal 500 2020
Nicola Cain is "very responsive and good at providing practical advice". - Legal 500 2020
"A rising star of the reputation management space." - Chambers UK 2019
Clients say "she has an incredible depth of understanding of the interaction between media law and data protection, which is invaluable." - Chambers UK 2019
"Hugely experienced" - Legal 500 UK 2018
"Practical and approachable" - Legal 500 UK 2018