Paul is a specialist in the fields of political risk, trade credit, terrorism and political violence insurance. Paul also possesses significant experience in international commercial and investor-state arbitration.
Paul advises London and overseas insurers in the political risk and trade credit market. This advice involves claims, coverage disputes, wordings, and subrogated recovery actions. Paul's cases have originated from numerous jurisdictions and his experience includes representing insurers in disputes concerning alleged expropriation, political violence, commodities trading and bank lending (often with an element of fraud).
Paul also has significant experience of both commercial and investor-state arbitration. Paul has arbitrated disputes under the LCIA, ICC, PCA, UNCITRAL and ICSID rules, respectively.
Paul has acted for and against a number of Middle-Eastern and African governments in disputes concerning sectors including energy, power and telecommunications and often involving matters of public international law. Paul has also represented international energy, commodities, telecommunications and technology clients in a number of commercial disputes.
Paul also has experience litigating before the English courts and possesses Higher Rights of Audience.
"Of counsel Paul Baker is a formidable worker who knows his way round his cases incredibly well." - The Legal 500 UK 2022
"Key lawyer - International Arbitration" - The Legal 500 UK 2020
- Representing trade credit insurers in an LCIA arbitration against a European bank regarding numerous alleged non-disclosures including an obligor's trading practices with Iran in alleged breach of US sanctions.
- Representing political risk insurers in an LCIA arbitration against a US-based oil services company regarding claims connected to the expropriation of assets in Venezuela by the Chavez government.
- Representing trade credit insurers in an LCIA arbitration against a US-based helicopter leasing company concerning alleged non-disclosures and breaches of warranty by the insured.
- Representing a middle-eastern government in an UNCITRAL arbitration against a mobile-telecoms provider regarding numerous alleged breaches of an Investment Law valued at over USD 500 million.
- Representing a middle-eastern Government in an ICSID arbitration brought by an investor under a BIT with Turkey concerning the alleged grant and revocation of a GSM operator licence.