Peter Rudd-Clarke specialises in the life sciences and consumer products sectors.
He advises clients on regulations and defends manufacturers against liability claims. He has acted for life sciences companies, software producers, life-style device manufacturers and their insurers.
Peter's regulatory experience includes advising on the regulation of medical devices and in vitro diagnostic devices, CE marking, clinical trials, consumer products and ongoing compliance matters.
The litigation and risk management side to his practice sees Peter defending manufacturers of complex products against liability claims, often for their insurers and across multiple jurisdictions, as well as reviewing commercial agreements.
Peter has provided training to clients, and written articles, on issues such as artificial intelligence, supply chains, pandemics, cross-border litigation, EU medical device regulations and Brexit. Peter's articles have been published in trade publications such as Insurance Day, Post Magazine and Insider Quarterly. He has been quoted in the Times and insurance press discussing risk management affecting medical device manufacturers.
Peter is ranked in the Legal 500 and listed as a Rising Star.Peter has worked in-house at two insurance companies and speaks fluent Spanish.
"Peter Rudd-Clarke is a star in the making. He is committed, focussed and achieves stellar results for his clients." – Legal 500 UK, 2019
Peter is noted for being "very calm, honest, knowledgeable, organised and efficient" - Legal 500 UK, 2018
Peter Rudd-Clarke is a key figure with practice head Gavin Reese, who is defending a Chinese manufacturer in a property damage claim relating to a fire that was allegedly caused by a bottle cooler supplied by the client - Legal 500 UK, 2017
Medical products: defending manufacturers of products against allegations that their products were defective under the product liability regime (including the "metal-on-metal" group litigation)
Non-medical products: advising on product recalls and defending personal injury claims involving industrial, commercial and consumer products
Inquests: acting for manufacturers, including representing the supplier of monitoring equipment before the coroner
Regulatory: advising software producers, life-style device manufacturers and life sciences companies on their regulatory obligations under the EU regime and industry standards
Insurance: advising insurers on coverage and policy wordings, including relating to industrial facilities, products and healthcare institutions
Recent articles include:
- Legal Focus: Insurers cannot afford to ignore the threat posed by pandemics, Insurance Day, November 2018
- US talc litigation has important lessons for UK insurers, Insurance Day, August 2018
- Painful lessons to be learned from the US opioid crisis, Insurance Day, May 2018
- Medical device advances, The Times, October 2017 (quoted in)
- Lost without trace, Terralex, July 2016
- A product of Our Times, Insider Quarterly, December 2015
- Doctor Algorithm will see you now, Liability, Risk and Insurance, March 2015
- Is wearable technology being hacked off? Insurance People, March 2015
- The dangers of 'smart' technology that lacks common sense, Reactions Magazine, February 2015
- Ebola threatens outbreak of litigation, Insurance Day, October 2014
- Scott's Parabola: how to stop your medical product from becoming the next victim, Liability Risk and Insurance, September 2014
- Handle With Care, Risk Management Professional, September 2014