John Paul Koh
An arbitration and litigation lawyer, John Paul's focus areas include commodities, energy, shipping and insurance disputes.
John Paul is an Associate in our Insurance, Property & Casualty International group. Based in Singapore, John Paul specialises in arbitration and litigation, with a focus on the commodities, energy, shipping, and insurance sectors.
He has significant experience in contentious dispute resolution and has acted in multi-jurisdictional international arbitration and court proceedings. He has worked on a broad spectrum of disputes including commercial, contract, construction, fraud, and trade-related matters.
John Paul has advised on arbitrations seated in Singapore, London, Paris, and Switzerland involving a range of rules including the ICC, SIAC, and SMAA.
In addition, John Paul has substantial experience in representing clients before all tiers of the Singapore Courts.
In conjunction with his contentious work, John Paul has also advised clients in contract negotiations and negotiations prior to proceedings being initiated. He also has advised on corporate governance, investigations, and regulatory matters.
- Acted for a Libyan state-owned oil and gas company in multiple arbitration proceedings before the ICC arising out of the construction of a Floating Storage Offloading vessel.
- Acted for an Indonesian state-owned energy company in arbitration proceedings before the SIAC concerning the performance of an upstream consultancy agreement.
- Acted for an Indian construction conglomerate in its dispute with an Eastern European state-owned entity for the construction of overhead transmission power cables.
- Acted for a foreign state-owned entity in its application before the Singapore High Court to set aside an international arbitration award, and the opposing party's subsequent appeal to the Singapore Court of Appeal.
- Acted for a freight forwarder in its claim before the Singapore High Court for unpaid fees.