Shaun Oon is a litigation and arbitration lawyer, specialising in commercial and civil disputes focusing on software licensing disputes and intellectual property enforcement. He also has extensive experience in regulatory compliance and investigations and civil fraud.
Shaun has acted for clients in complex and cross-border commercial and civil disputes before all levels of the Singapore Courts as well as in arbitrations administered by the SIAC, KLRCA and LCIA rules.
Shaun has experience acting for leading global technology companies in their software licensing and copyright disputes and representing them in the enforcement of their intellectual property rights in Singapore as well as licensing compliance around the Asia-Pacific region.
In the regulatory compliance and investigations sphere, Shaun has advised on regulatory compliance and corporate governance matters in the context of commercial and employee fraud, anti-bribery and corruption. Shaun is also well versed in both internal and external investigations.
Shaun is qualified as an advocate and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore. He is based in Singapore and practices out of Premier Law LLC.
- Acted for an Australian venture capital firm in its dispute against a subsidiary of a Singapore-listed oil and gas company for breach of an investment agreement relating to the failed exploration of oil and gas in the West Jambi area in Sumatra, Indonesia.
- Acted for various global technology and computer software companies in matters involving licensing compliance both locally and across the Asia-Pacific region, including in identifying illegal downloaders of its software in Singapore and taking action against these unlicensed users to enforce the company's intellectual property rights in the software, as well as acting for them in licensing disputes with companies in emerging jurisdictions such as India and Vietnam.
- Acted for a leading software producer and its regional licensing subsidiaries in their US$ 15 Million software licensing disputes against an India-headquartered conglomerate.
- Advised the subsidiary of a US-headquartered global technology company in respect of its internal investigations and claims against a former finance manager who fraudulently misappropriated S$4 Million over a period of four years via a sophisticated fraudulent scheme.
- Advised a major international sports agency in relation to investigations conducted by the Info-Communications Media Development Authority of Singapore on its compliance with local broadcasting licensing regulations. Shaun also represented the client in a cross-border dispute against national sports association for breaches of a broadcasting and sponsorship agreement in an arbitration seated in Malaysia.