Alan Williams is a commercial litigator with a particular focus on banking and finance disputes, often involving cross-border issues. He also handles wide-ranging commercial disputes across a variety of different sectors.
Alan has experience in English Court of Appeal, High Court and tax tribunal proceedings, as well as in international arbitrations on matters as diverse as oil and gas joint venture disputes, outsourcing disputes involving global corporates, multi-jurisdictional shareholder disputes, claims arising from insolvencies and banking litigation arising from the global financial crisis.
Alan also has a particular interest in civil fraud and corruption claims and is currently advising the Federal Republic of Nigeria on claims arising from the OPL 245 scandal (one of The Lawyer's Top 20 Cases of 2019).
Alan's clients include hedge funds, large multi-national corporates, private equity houses, liquidators of insolvent companies and banks.
"Alan Williams is always across the detail and phenomenally clever." - Legal 500 UK 2024
"Jonathan Cary and Alan Williams were right across the detail, knowing the case inside out and back to front, and showed great judgement throughout." - Legal 500 UK 2023
Recommended - The Legal 500 UK 2021
- Acted for the general partner of a real estate fund in a €160m gross negligence claim brought on behalf of the fund's limited partner investors against the manager of the fund.
- Instructed by the liquidators of an Isle of Man based property investment company in a dispute with a global investment bank over the sale of interest rate swaps.
- Represented a listed German real estate company in a claim against a global investment bank, arising from a disputed make-whole payment, allegedly paid under duress on the early repayment of a €205 million term loan.
- Acted in a LCIA arbitration for a US-based online fx brokerage in a dispute following the Swiss franc event of January 2015
- CF Partners - Acted on its successful claim for breach of confidence against Barclays Bank and Tricorona AB (one of The Lawyer's Top 20 Cases of 2013)