James Mee is an award-winning corporate lawyer whose practice spans multiple jurisdictions and sectors. He created and led RPC's Corporate Insurance and Financial Services business, and in recent years has focused on private equity transactions in insurance and other sectors.
James' practice covers private equity and M&A transactions of all types across a range of sectors, as well as insurance specific transactions such as Part VIIs, MGAs and the full range of Lloyd's arrangements including syndicate start-ups, special purpose arrangements, RITCs and funds at Lloyd's.
James was listed in The Lawyer's Hot 100 for 2014, both for his corporate work and focus on diversity and inclusion.
James co-led the team that was awarded the Corporate Team of the Year (mid-cap) accolade by The Lawyer for a $1.8bn 22 jurisdiction deal, and was shortlisted again in 2017.
James is the Co-Chair of Link, the insurance market-wide network for LGBT professionals and allies; sat on the board of RPC Consulting; and is a trustee of the English National Ballet School.
James Mee is described as "a good, strong, technical lawyer who really knows his stuff." His well-regarded practice covers an array of transactional insurance matters, including Lloyd's market and private equity transactions. - Chambers UK 2019
James Mee maintains an active transactional practice in the insurance and financial services fields. - Chambers UK 2019
He "understands us and is willing to help us along." - Chambers UK 2019
"Very capable and bright" practice head James Mee is "a pleasure to deal with" - Legal 500 UK 2018
James Mee heads the firm's corporate insurance and financial services practice. He is experienced in handling an array of insurance transactions, often acting for Lloyd's market syndicates, as well as intermediaries and investment entities. - Chambers UK 2018
[James is praised for his] "strong connections and extensive expertise in high-end, complex transactions." - Chambers UK 2018
Practice head James Mee has notable expertise in private equity transactions - Legal 500 UK 2017
Ranked as leader in the field - Chambers UK 2017
Clients describe him as a "very commercial and very hard-working" practitioner. - Chambers UK 2017
He is easy to deal with, knows a lot of law and represents his clients well and fairly. - Chambers UK 2016
"good technical knowledge". - Legal 500 UK 2016
"A "consummate corporate lawyer" who "goes the extra mile for you around the clock"" – Chambers UK 2015
"Clients say he is "a well-connected lawyer who is extremely client-focused, very bright and knowledgeable but not at all arrogant" – Chambers UK 2015
Recommended in Corporate and Commercial: M&A and Insurance: corporate and regulatory – Legal 500 UK 2014
"Clients compliment his expertise and responsiveness, with one remarking: "His strengths are an unwavering work ethic which sees him commit to delivering projects come what may. For such a high-profile partner at the firm, his client contact and relationship management are first rate."– Chambers UK 2014
- CityNet – acting for the sellers of this Lloyd's of London broker on its sale to Carlye - backed PIB Group.
- Besso Insurance Group –acted for this leading Lloyd's of London broker, on its acquisition by BGC Group, the global brokerage company.
- Pembroke – advising on the formation of the GIC Syndicate 1947.
- Acting for private equity, other buyers and sellers and management teams on a range of broker transactions, including Calva/RFIB and Windsor and Howden.
- Acting for various insurers on investment management mandates, including Beazley and Catalina.
- Essity/SCA - acting on its transformational $1.8bn 22 jurisdiction acquisition of Georgia-Pacific's European tissue business; and its €500m acquisition of part of Proctor & Gamble's European business.
- Essity/SCA - acting on its £4bn bond restructuring relating to the Essity/SCA demerger.
- Paine Schwatz- acting on various mandates for this specialist PE fund.