Samuel advises clients on a range of contentious and non-contentious commercial, IP and technology matters – particularly in the sports, retail, IP and technology sectors.
Samuel is experienced in advising on contentious and non-contentious matters relating to copyright, trade marks and passing off, design rights and confidential information.
In particular, he has advised on numerous trade mark and copyright infringement disputes, particularly in the sports, entertainment and technology sectors, alongside breach of confidence issues in respect of employees and consultants in the retail industry. Samuel's prior experience includes undertaking a client secondment to ITV, the largest commercial broadcaster in the UK, where he assisted in-house teams with a broad range of IP disputes and commercial contracts for both the consumer and business-to-business lines.
Samuel regularly contributes content for Entertainment Law Review, most recently on the EU General Court’s decision in Case T-633/19 Hasbro Inc v EUIPO, and LawInSport on IP issues – including, most recently, on the settlement reached in the trade mark infringement proceedings brought by Man United against Sega and Sports Interactive in relation to Football Manager. Samuel is a committee member of IPSoc, the society dedicated to junior IP practitioners, and a member of INTA. Samuel is also currently undertaking the Post-Graduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice at the University of Oxford.
- Committee member of IPSoc
- Member of the International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Member of LawInSport
- Assisting Sports Direct to purchase Jack Wills, including all intellectual property rights.
- Advising News Group on various IP licensing and infringement issues, particularly involving trade mark and copyright matters.
- Assisting a leading global retailer to invalidate trade mark registrations, obtain assignments and advance a claim for breach of contract against an international conglomerate.
- Advising a worldwide toy manufacturer in respect of an action for passing off and design right infringement.
- Assisting insurers and insureds in a variety of IP and technology related matters including defence, coverage and monitoring.