Partner and Head of International Arbitration
Shai Wade advises on international arbitration, serving both as counsel and arbitrator in complex and large-scale disputes.
Shai is an international arbitration lawyer with a particularly strong expertise in cases arising from the upstream oil and gas and energy sectors as well as in joint-venture, shareholder and partnership disputes and cases involving IT, telecoms, construction, infrastructure, mining and international sale of goods disputes.
He is the co-author of a leading textbook on LCIA arbitration and serves as counsel and arbitrator under rules of the major arbitration institutions, including the ICC, LCIA, UNCITRAL, ICSID and others.
Shai has represented clients from every continent around the world in disputes concerning a variety of national laws. He is an expert in international investment law regularly advising clients on their rights under international treaties.
“Shai is a great leader. His advice is sophisticated, sensible and commercial. He does it all with a smile and with grace, which most litigators do not possess.” - Chambers UK 2024
"Shai is very knowledgeable and gives balanced advice. He's a good strategist for multi-jurisdictional disputes - Chambers UK 2023
"Shai Wade is an exceptionally dedicated and knowledgeable lawyer, who delivers top quality work to meet the clients’ need. He is extremely responsive and very pleasant to work with." - The Legal 500 UK 2021
"Shai Wade is a terrific lawyer, advocate and strategist; and his drafting is flawless and he thinks multiple moves ahead of his opponent." - The Legal 500 UK 2022
"Shai Wade brings expert insight into arbitrations and energy sector disputes. Clients enjoy working with him, and he delivers the goods. One of our go-to names for conflict referrals." - The Legal 500 UK 2022
"Shai Wade demonstrates his ability to effectively provide counsel on both investment and commercial arbitration. He has notable expertise in handling LCIA and ICC arbitrations." - Chambers and Partners 2022
"He is very knowledgeable in arbitration." - Chambers and Partners 2022
"He is personable, commercial and calm under pressure." - Chambers and Partners 2022
- $100m ICC arbitration concerning a West Africa Oil Field.
- US$700m LCIA arbitration claim against the operator of a West Africa offshore oil field.
- $30m LCIA arbitration concerning an education sector asset acquisition in the Middle East.
- Investment Treaty arbitration concerning the expropriation of a coal mine.
- $40m LCIA arbitration concerning the engineering and construction of an LNG plant in Yemen.
- $220m ICC arbitration concerning the operation of an international fibre optic cable stretching from the UK to Japan.
- Arbitrator in an arbitration between parties to a broadcasting industry JV.
- Arbitrator in an arbitration concerning an international distribution agreement in the healthcare sector.
- Represented a coal mining company in various disputes and ongoing contracting advice
- ICSID arbitration between a US investor and a Caribbean state concerning the redevelopment of an offshore oil field
- $250m telecoms arbitration relating to the application of advanced sonar technology.
- London Court of International Arbitration
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators