When your business enters into a proposed merger, acquisition or joint venture arrangement, we'll ensure you understand the legal framework.
We have an expert UK and EU merger control practice and offer a full suite of services to support corporate transactions.
We'll bring you up to speed on relevant global merger control requirements and carry out a substantive risk assessment. We advise on corporate structures, merger notification strategies, and, where appropriate, remedies to secure clearance.
Our experienced competition lawyers provide pragmatic, commercial advice from the outset. This allows you to plan and implement your deal in a compliant and efficient way.
Having secured clearances from the merger control authorities in the UK, Brussels and many other jurisdictions across the world and co-ordinated multi-jurisdictional filings, we have extensive cross-border experience.
Also, if you're concerned about a proposed merger involving your competitors or suppliers, we can help you challenge the deal through the regulatory process.
Examples of work:
- Advised on the worldwide merger control aspects of Stella McCartney's new partnership with LVMH Moët Hennessy – Louis Vuitton, including successfully obtaining required merger clearances in various jurisdictions
- Advised Ebury Partners on the merger control aspects of its strategic investment arrangement with Santander, including successfully obtaining required merger clearances in various jurisdictions
- Advised Sports Direct International plc on the competition law and multi-jurisdictional merger control aspects of various transactions, including: - its public bid for GAME Digital plc where we successfully secured an unconditional Phase I merger clearance from the European Commission;
- Advised Meadow Foods on the CMA's merger investigation into its completed acquisition of Roil Foods and successfully secured an unconditional Phase I merger clearance
- its acquisition of the business and assets of House of Fraser from the administrators which required Irish merger clearance; and
- the sale of its rights to the Dunlop brand and its related wholesale and licensing business to Sumitomo Rubber Industries Ltd, including successfully obtaining required merger clearances in various jurisdictions
Examples of work
MyFerryLink - advised in respect of the Competition and Markets Authority's (CMA's) merger investigation into Eurotunnel's acquisition of former SeaFrance assets and the launch of the MyFerryLink business
DMG Media Ltd - acted in successfully securing CMA Phase I clearance for the sale of Evenbase Recruitment Limited (including its online job board, Jobsite) to Axel Springer's StepStone business (with its competing online job board, TotalJobs)
DMG Media Ltd - advised on the antitrust and merger control implications of the joint venture involving its discount voucher business, Wowcher
SportsDirect.com - successfully secured OFT merger clearance for its acquisition of stores from JJB Sports plc. (in administration)
ANV - advised on the multi-jurisdictional merger control aspects of its acquisition of Flagstone Reinsurance from Lloyd's of London and its acquisition from Ryan Specialty Group of an 80% stake in Jubilee Managing Agency Limited, another Lloyd's managing agent