RPC has extensive experience of acting on complex, large scale disputes emanating from Africa.We act on some of the biggest and most high-profile disputes (litigation and arbitration) that relate to the region. We have first-hand experience and understanding of local business practices and cultural issues across many countries in this diverse region, which we leverage to ensure that our team works seamlessly with clients to achieve outstanding results. We frequently travel to many of the key business centers in the region to meet and work with clients directly and have close links to local firms. Our clients include global multinational companies, sovereign nations, high net worth individuals and entrepreneurs.
We have acted on a broad range of disputes across multiple industry sectors and dealing with diverse commercial and legal issues. Many of the disputes on which we have been engaged have involved significant fraud and asset tracing exercises. We are well-placed to assist in financial markets disputes or disputes involving debt because, unlike many London law firms, we are able to act against the global investment banks. We also have good connections with specialist litigation funders experienced in supporting Africa-related claims.
- Acting for the Federal Republic of Nigeria in separate claims against JP Morgan, and also Shell and Eni, arising out of the oil majors' purported acquisition in 2011 of an oil prospecting license (OPL 245) for the sum of $1.3 billion. The case is listed in The Lawyer's Top 20 cases of 2019 and has contributed to the firm's shortlisting for the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Team of the Year award at the LegalWeek British Legal Awards 2019.
- Acting for a global telecoms infrastructure company in a confidential arbitration against a global telecoms company in relation to a dispute about telecoms equipment and masts in Africa.
- Acting for Manmohan Varma in his claim against Lakshmi Mittal for commission for brokering a deal for two oil exploration licenses in Nigeria in 2005/6.
- Acting for a group of bondholders holding debt issued by an African sovereign in relation to the proposed restructuring of those bonds and potential liabilities arising as a result of the events leading to that restructuring.
- Coordinating a global recovery of capital flight from former government officials relating to two African Sovereigns.
- Representing a leading vulture fund defrauded by a cabal of government officials in southern Africa in relation to a substantial food investment.
- Acting in respect of claims arising out of catastrophic failures of turbines and other equipment at a power station in Algeria.
- Acting in relation to a claim arising from a failed turret bearing on an FPSO offshore Ghana.
- Acting in relation to liability claims arising out of two oil spills from a production pipeline offshore Nigeria, and in relation to claims for clean-up costs.
- Acting in relation to a claim arising from damage to a subsea riser during installation in Ghana.
- Advising on a claim regarding damage to a subsea umbilical at an offshore gas project in Egypt.
- Acting in relation to a CALM Buoy which capsized after installation offshore Congo.
- Advising in relation to a helicopter crash offshore Ghana.