Financial litigation roundup Spring/Summer 2019
Welcome to the latest edition of our financial litigation roundup. In this edition, we consider recent judgments and ongoing cases from the banking and financial world in the UK and Hong Kong, as well as legal developments across those jurisdictions.
RPC continues to build on its status as one of the few premier tier banking and finance litigation specialists which is able to assist market counter parties of all descriptions in disputes against the largest banking institutions due to our predominantly conflict free position. The practice goes from strength to strength and has earned the recognition of Chambers and Legal 500 as being in the highest bracket of conflict free firms operating in the financial markets disputes sector, together with many well-deserved individual rankings and reviews for our partners. In May 2018, Simon Hart took up the role of Head of Financial Disputes, with Tom Hibbert continuing in his role as Global Head of Commercial Disputes and a senior partner in our Financial Disputes team.
We thoroughly recommend following our Twitter feed at @conflictfreeRPC for up-to-the-minute topical updates, news and views on financial markets and financial markets disputes.
Latest news from the banking and litigation world in London
Developments of note. Read more.
- Deutsche Bank AG v Comune di Savona. Read more.
- Barclays Bank plc v Price. Read more.
- Nederlandse Industrie Van Eiprodukten v Rembrandt Enterprises. Read more.
- Carlos Sevilleja Garcia v Marex Financial Limited. Read more.
- Playboy Club London Ltd v Banca Nazionale Del Lavoro SpA. Read more.
- K. Medsted Associates Limited v Cannacord Genuity Wealth (International) Limited. Read more.
- J. Carr v Formation Group Plc. Read more.
- Barnardo’s v Buckinghamshire and others. Read more.
- The Federal Republic of Nigeria v JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A. Read more.
- The ECU Group PLC v HSBC Bank PLC. Read more.
- Marme Inversiones v Natwest Markets and others. Read more.
Latest news from the banking and litigation world in Hong Kong and Singapore
Court grants access to court pleadings to shareholders of a party – Elliot International LP v Bank of East Asia Ltd (No. 2). Read more.
Bank did not owe its customer a duty to provide investment advice (but watch this space) – Shine Grace Investment Ltd v Citibank NA. Read more.
Court refuses to recognise authority of foreign bankruptcy trustee (in proceedings involving creditor bank) – China Fishery Group Ltd. Read more.
Hong Kong regulator wins landmark civil lawsuit concerning insider dealing in foreign listed securities (and more of the same expected) – SFC v Lee & Ors. Read more.
Hong Kong regulator issues record fines to four banks for IPO Sponsor failures. Read more.
Third party funding of arbitrations (now operative in Hong Kong). Read more.
Hong Kong and Mainland Chinese Courts to provide mutual assistance in interim measures in support of arbitral proceedings. Read more.
Anti-Money Laundering update 2018 (a year of big change). Read more.